March 3, 2011

Running

So at the beginning of the semester I mentioned how excited I was that I can now use the gym on campus. I didn't get to work out very much last semester and it was kind of a bummer. I ran for a couple of weeks and then had to take a couple weeks off due to a cold. My first run after the cold was my best EVER! In terms of distance, that is.

I have never been an endurance person - with anything, but especially sports. I am a sprinter. I used to swim and I hated practice and in a race, anything longer than a 100. Give me a 50 free and I'll use every muscle in my body to go as fast as I can! I LOVE the exhileration from using all the strength and energy I have until I'm completely exhuasted. It's such a good feeling...but the best part is it only lasts for about a minute, tops.

So knowing how much I loved sprinting in swimming, when I started running freshman year of college, I just pushed myself as hard as I could go to try to get my mile time down (now I have never been a runner so that's never been very fast). I never even tried to go more than a mile (okay, well maybe like 1.3). However, this year I haven't been as willing to push myself in time, so I just go further.

I mentioned my best run earlier - I did two miles in 22 minutes! (shut up runners, I have only been working out for a couple months) I set that as my new "standard" for when I run. It's the perfect pace for me because I get to walk 1 minute each mile and only have to run about 6mph. I went a little past that the last time or two I ran, and I was thinking about the April 16 5k coming up. I was wondering how long it would take me to do 3.2 miles, and I thought a good goal might be 35 minutes. Guess what?? Today I ran 3.2 in ALMOST 35 minutes!! Wow, I didn't even really have to do anything except for try to see if I could. It was almost too easy. I kept going and ended up doing 3.5 miles in exactly 40 minutes.

I was thinking about it before, but I'm DEFINITELY going to run the April 16 3.2 for 32 race this year!! I have definitely only ever walked it in the past. I tried to do a 5k once in high school and I ran in the beginning but hadn't trained for distance enough that I got really tired after the first mile.

Anyways, I was so motivated today that I think I might try to do a sprint triathlon at some point!! I am already good at swimming, granted I haven't done it in awhile, but most people have never done it before at all. Now I know I can run for 30-40 minutes and it's not as bad as I thought, and biking is the easiest part, so I hear. I looked one up just to get an idea how long they are because apparently they're all variable, and I found one in Salem on June 5 (probably too soon but you never know...) that you run 3.1 miles (check!), bike 9 miles (doesn't sound so bad), and swim...only 300 meters!! Piece of cake....haha. ;) Now I know it would be MUCH more difficult to do all of those things TOGETHER as opposed to individually, but all that you need to do is be able to finish, and I think I could definitely go for it! So we'll see what happens! I think my plan for now is just to start swimming again because I have a free pool here that I should start taking advantage of. But I'll keep you posted on if I actually decide to start training for something. :)

1 comment:

  1. Sydni! Somehow I didn't realize that you were still blogging. I love the 3 pictures you have along the side of your posts :)

    That's great that you're getting into running! Great job with your 3.5 miles, and good luck with the upcoming races! The sprint triathlon sounds really neat.

    I started a blog! I had planned to use one while in Spain, but I'm so excited I decided to start it early, haha.

    ReplyDelete