July 15, 2011

Best Friend Bible

Meet my new best friend! As a gift for completing our Bible Study Methods Course, they said that they would give everyone an ESV Study Bible Personal Edition. I thought we might get an ESV Study Bible based on friends who had previously gone through the course, and I planned on just selling it because I already have one. However, for some reason they decided to go with the personal size, and I couldn't be more thrilled!!

The problem was that they hadn't ordered enough Bibles, so we had to wait two weeks to get them. And then when they came in, we had to go pick them up from this office - of which the hours were the whole time we were at MPD training!! We ran to get to it the first day it was opened, and would have made it, but went to the wrong location. The next day they told us they moved them (but we never found them). Then after that we went to the original room - and they weren't there. When I finally got my Bible I held it up to my chest and couldn't stop smiling. Sooo cheesy but I seriously am in love with it!!

I looked it up online to see what it would look like and saw that it was smaller but couldn't tell the size difference because it really looked the same. Before I went to Venezuela I decided to get a new Bible to challenge myself to read more carefully since I used the same version (NLT) all through college. A huge requirement was that it was stitched - all my old Bibles have had pages fallen out and I want one that will last (the ESV binding is stitched has a lifetime guarantee). I had heard great things about the new ESV Study Bible and it was the perfect match. I also bought the compact size to take with me to Bible study, church, and on vacation so I wouldn't wear out the other one (and because it is HUGE). However, I haven't been completely satisfied because when I go on vacation I don't want to lug my huge Bible around, but I don't like studying the small one because it's just too small (I have to hold it up which is annoying). So this personal sized one is PERFECT!! It's just the right size to take with you (but still be able to read) and it still has ALL the notes, maps, concordance, and extras from the original! I can't wait to travel somewhere else so I can use it! :) One caveat is it's hardback, and I hate hardbacks. But reading it so far it hasn't bothered me. So if you're looking for a new Bible, I would recommend any of these! Here is a size comparison for those like me who want to see the difference:
Also, this really motivates me to be passionate about the people around the world who DON'T have access to a Bible. If I get so excited about a new version of a Bible, how much more excited would I get if I got my very own Bible for the first time?! If you feel compelled, you can click here to send a Bible to the Middle East for just $3!

1 comment:

  1. woo-hoo bibles to the arab world! way to encourage that sydni.

    loved seeing you!

    janelle

    ReplyDelete