July 18, 2011

Just a Little Update

Since I haven't shared that much from our time out here in Colorado, I figured I'd update a little bit to share a few of the details. This post will probably be extremely random.

-I hated our room/dorm the night we moved. I mean, I hated EVERYTHING. The next day (and since then) I have been fine and enjoyed some things, but there are still a few things that are annoying:
1) I have to push a button (to release the magnet) to open a door, show a card (like a key but you don't have to swipe it) to open another door, and then enter a code on another door JUST to get to the bathroom. I drink a lot of water and have to go to the bathroom a lot so obviously that's a hassle. 2) There is one paper towel thing in the bathroom and it's across the room from the sinks. I don't like dripping wet hands across the room! 3) Even though sometimes it's only 60 or so degrees in the morning, it's ALWAYS 90+ degrees in our room because even though we close the curtains as far as they'll go, a few streaks of sunlight pass through which heat up the entire room. Not cool. 4) We didn't feel like buying king sized sheets (we have 2 twin beds pushed together) and the sheets they gave us were all flat (no fitted sheets). I don't understand why places like this NEVER have fitted sheets. Is that so hard? 5) Breakfast is only open from 6-8:30 and dinner is only open from 5-6:30 (I usually eat those meals 2 hours later).
The things I do like:
1) We have TONS of storage! It's always when I don't have that much stuff that I have an abundance of storage. 2) We each have our own desk, and they are pretty spacious. 3) We figured out how to open the curtains so we can see out of the windows (necessity). 4) Even though we're not on the mountain side, we have a pretty good view of the campus. 5) There are a lot of cool people on our hall! 6) We're right next to the water fountain. 7) There is a really loud train that goes by and makes clanging/chiming noises for probably 5 minutes straight.

-There are more restaurants in Ft. Collins per capita than most US cities. We had to pay for an on-campus dining plan along with living in the dorms, but I wish that we had more time to explore all the restuarants! We have only eaten at a few local places, which were amazing, but we also go to Noodles & Co. every chance we get because it's one of our favorite restaurants and right down the road! A few of our other local faves are Raising Cane's (similar to Zaxby's...though we can't figure out how they stay in business because they only sell chicken tenders or chicken tenders on a sandwich, haha), Old Chicago (delicious Chicago-style pizza), and the Beach House Grill (awesome fish tacos!!). Ft. Collins also has a TON of micro-breweries. It's been fun to try some of them! Also, you can tour New Belgium brewery (which makes Fat Tire) as well as one of the Anheusuer-Busch factories.

-There's a bunch of fun stuff within walking distance of our dorm. Like I mentioned earlier, there are two great fro-yo places, but there's also a Sonic that we've been to, a Shell (mountain dew), and a ton of places we haven't had time for.

-I started swimming again. I have been wanting to swim all year that I've been at Tech and had a free pool, but it was too much of a hassle to drive, figure out the pool hours, and just figure out how to go. There is an indoor pool pretty close to us here, so I started working out again (though haven't been in a couple of weeks). It is SO HARD. I hadn't swum since freshman year of college (well, haven't done a full workout). That combined with the elevation makes it majorly challenging. My goal was to get back into shape here so that when I go home I can swim again and will be great (since it won't be as difficult with the elevation change). Though as I mentioned we have been too busy the past two weeks...hopefully I'll have more time this week!

-We love Fort Collins. and Colorado. Ft Collins is great though because 1. It is close to so many things! Denver, the Rockies, and Cheyenne are all only an hour away. 2. There is tons of shopping and restaurants! I love places where there's lots to do! 3. The city has a small-town feel (feels like a college town) but is actually quite large. (Downside to this is tons of traffic, added to the fact that no one here knows how to drive - everyone drives 5-10 mph under the speed limit. Umm, whaaat???) 4. It's kind of a hippie town, it's very environmentally-friendly, and all people bring their dogs everywhere! 5. We found a church that we love. That has cook-outs every other week in the summer!

-Tonight is the carnival!!! Campus Crusade is having a "county fair" just for the staff members! I am WAY excited!! I seriously can't wait. I'm looking forward to fun rides (that are hopefully free!!), delicious food, seeing lots of people we know, and taking pictures of the lights at night!! It starts in an hour...!! :)

That's all I can think of for now. Hope you get a better feel for our summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment