August 26, 2011

Movie Review: The Adjustment Bureau

A few nights ago Whit and I rented the Adjustment Bureau. I have not been thrilled with the selection at Redbox recently, and was so pleased to discover that the Blockbuster machine had many more (and better) options than I'd been seeing lately (I'm SO over crappy chick flicks - Just Go With It, Life As We Know It, Love & Other Drugs). I remembered that there was an interesting Matt Damon movie out, but every time I go to rent a movie the only one available is Hereafter, which looks incredibly creepy. (Which brings me to my hate of movie rental strategies these days. If the only place you can rent movies is a machine, you need to offer more than 5 good recent movies, 30 terrible movies, and 5 good old movies. I miss movie rental stores!!!) As soon as we saw the Adjustment Bureau we decided to rent it. It was especially exciting because neither of us remembered the plot, but we did know we wanted to see it. 
 Here are my thoughts about the movie, which I thoroughly enjoyed and thought was great.
Plusses:
-The characters are relate-able and draw you in. I liked the main character and wanted to see him succeed.
-The movie has an excellent balance of sci-fi and love story. I absolutely love sci-fi movies but I just can't let myself watch them, because I freak myself out thinking that they're real afterwards. It's quite unfortunate because they're honestly my favorite movies to watch. Anyways, the Adjustment Bureau is intriguing but not scary; it makes your mind think but doesn't cause your imagination to run wild after its over. I constantly wanted to know what was happening and why and how everything would fit together.

Minuses:
-I loved watching the movie, but there wasn't anything so great about it that I'd want to watch it again in the near future. It might be boring to watch again unless it's been so long that you've forgotten what it's about. The intriguing thing about the movie is that you don't know what's coming up or what's happening, not interesting characters or dialogue that would drive you to watch the movie again and again.

The ending was completely satisfying. I thought at first that they were trying to make a point about pantheism, but after I thought about it I did really like the ending. 

Overall, it was an excellent rental. Not the next classic, but absolutely worth setting aside a Wednesday night for.

No comments:

Post a Comment