April 22, 2011

The Deal is Done

I got it!!! I bought my new camera today!! I am soooooooo excited!!!! It took me a long time to decide which camera to buy...and then once I decided, the good deals were gone! How annoying - right when I decide to buy, the price goes up. So I've been waiting patiently for the past few weeks, checking Best Buy each Sunday. The bundle I wanted was more expensive, same price, and then gone. I had been checking ebay too, but it was just as expensive or more. But today I randomly went on ebay just to see...and found the perfect deal!! They had the price on the Best Buy bundle that I had been waiting for. I actually ended up getting a better package that included lots of extras - huge memory card, lens filters, tripod, and carrying case. Score! Now I just have to wait until it arrives! So which one did I get?



The Sony Nex 3! Once I decided this is the one I wanted, I started waiting for the replacement to come out. I had read some rumors online that they were going to announce the release of an upgraded camera on April 4. However, because of the earthquakes in Japan, the factories have been at a halt so they haven't been making the sensors. They might release the camera later this summer, but I need to start learning how to use it now so I can take sweet pictures of the Rockies (and Tech's campus before I leave!).


So, why did I decide on this one?
This Sony and the Canon Rebel XS were my two choices - both equally great cameras. It's really hard to choose between two similarly good options, but I realized that I just like the Sony more. Normally I make decisions completely based off of logical reasons because I don't know which on I like more. I realized that I was leaning more towards this camera and thinking about it a lot because I had been researching it so much, and it's just cool!

I figured that if this camera really isn't as good, I can always sell it and get a DSLR in the future. The determing factor was that if I decide to do that, I won't really lose any money. The price of this camera will surely go down when they release the new one, but the prices of the Rebel aren't going anywhere (they're already as low as they will probably ever be). So even if I lose some money selling this one in the next few years, I can easily pick up a different camera for as much as I will sell this one for. I get to try this camera out now (I'm so curious about it!) but if it turns out to not be what I want, at least I'll know that I tried it and didn't like it. In addition, this camera will be great to learn on before switching to a DSLR, if I do that. It's trickier (most features are accessed through the camera menu), but I learn it then switching to DSLR buttons will be a breeze. And with all the tips it offers and the way that it's more similar to a point and shoot, it should be easier to learn on this one and way less intimidating.

In the meantime, this camera will be perfect for starting out and for my needs right now. I want to be able to take it on hikes in Colorado to photography the scenery of the beautiful Rocky Mountains. I don't want to be hauling around a huge camera bag. I also really want to try to take it in to Phish shows this summer to utilize the HD video. The camera has an excellent AF feature so I hear, which will make the videos turn out way better than I could ever do on my point and shoot. So even if I want to get the bigger DSLR in the future, this small one (with video) is perfect for right now.

Also, I did a comparison online, and figured out that this camera is actually much better than the Rebel. It has many more features (besides the lack of lenses) including higher ISO, larger screen, more FPS (shoots way faster), has video, better image quality, and significantly better image quality (more MP). So I think I made the right choice. Can't wait til it comes in - YAY!!!!

1 comment:

  1. How exciting! Sounds like a really cool camera :) and I'm happy for you that you got a good deal on it.
    I'm looking into buying a new camera before I leave in sept. I've had mine almost 6 yrs, and it's the kind that uses AA batteries. I want a little one that has better picture quality (and a rechargeable battery!), but its a bit frustrating bc I always thought the next camera I bought would be a DSLR. But, like you, I dont want to carry something that big!

    ReplyDelete