September 2, 2011

Great Discovery

Our Labor Day plans changed due to the hurricane. Whit's grandparents' house in Nags Head got hit pretty hard - the dock needs to be rebuilt and their junk (actual junk) is all around the neighborhood. Not all the relatives are coming for the weekend anymore, and the ones who are basically just have to work the whole time (welcome to the Jackson family). 

As I was planning for our revised Labor Day weekend, I made a great discovery! We thought about the option of going to Ocean City, MD to get one last beach trip in, but it's further away than I thought - 2 hours and 45 minutes! Not close enough for just a day trip. Since this is the last few weeks we'll be in Maryland, we wanted to get in some fun Baltimore-y things. Turns out that we'll actually be closer to Ocean City when we move to Pennsylvania! (Only by a few minutes, but it definitely doesn't need to be on a list of "things to do while in Maryland.")

I obviously checked out a couple of other locations, and to my surprise we will be close to a decent number of beaches! I'm not always super excited about moving to Philly, but finding out things like this make me so thankful! I hope we will have lots of adventures traveling to places I've never been before (aka pretty much anywhere up north)! (Side note: apparently people actually from the north don't consider the lower states like Maryland and Pennsylvania very northern, so I'm more cautious saying it now...which is weird because it's very northern in my mind.) I knew we could try to visit various cities and that we would be closer to most of the places where Phish tours, but now we can add beaches to the list! 

There are many that are less than 3 hours away: Ocean City, Rehoboth, Atlantic City, and even New York beaches. Now I know that everyone says that north-eastern beaches are pretty gross and crowded, but I normally don't mind stuff like that as much as other people do (I mean, I love Kings Dominion), and it will be just as fun for me to get to travel to new places than have a perfect beach (especially because now that I've been to Caribbean beaches, all US beaches are just not as good in my mind). We could just try a new beach every weekend in the summer! Or something like that. Enough of my ramblings. Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment