September 7, 2011

Rainy Day Randomness

Is it ever going to stop raining? What is up with the weather?? We just had a hurricane, and it's been raining for two days straight now, plus it sprinkled for three days before that. And it's been so cold! Hellooo it's still summer!! I need these last few weeks of warmth before everything gets chilly! Or at least let me find some jeans to buy. I've been looking for a new pair and am telling you it's impossible to find a normal pair - light wash that's NOT skinny, stretch, or destroyed. Lame.

This weekend was super productive! I cleaned out all my old childhood things - threw out a bunch and then organized and consolidated the rest. Now that my parents are here cleaning out their things, I've been getting a lot of my mom's stuff! It's awesome because it's like a thrift shop where everything is FREE - and it's all familiar and special because it's my mom's! And it's nice stuff. I'm trying to have a balance because Whit doesn't want us to just have a ton of stuff, which I agree with, so I'm trying to not take too much, even though it's all really nice.

In-between all my cleaning, which I really enjoyed, we had some fun dates together. We went to Fort McHenry, where the Star Spangle Banner was written. I'd been there a couple times before with my family, but didn't really understand anything about the war. In the past year they've completely remodeled the visitor's center so there's a ton of things to look at and learn from, including interactive tools. I'm not a huge fan of history (I don't like little details and I have a good memory but I can't remember things that are completely random, like dates), but since I'd been to Fort McHenry a couple times already and still didn't understand it, I figured I would try extra hard to really get what was going on. I was proud of myself for figuring it out, haha.

I've also been learning to play Claire de Lune on piano. Ever since I watched Ocean's 11 (my favorite movie) it's been one of my favorite songs. Out of classical music, it's definitely my favorite or at least tied with Love's Dream. Whit is actually the one who started learning it first, but I figured if he has never played piano before and he's going to try to learn my favorite song, then I need to try to learn it too! I love Debussy's style. It's so dreamy. I think it's even more beautiful now that I'm playing it because I see what he does that makes it sound so good. I've never really played anything like it before (that's not saying a whole lot); it's kind of tricky because you have to hold down one note with one finger while the rest of your hand plays different notes, and then you switch to another finger holding down one note while your other fingers play different notes. I don't know if that makes sense. Anyway, what's even better than that is that your hands are playing so close each other; each time the left hand moves down the right follows by taking over the note that your left hand was just playing! The result is smooth transitions all the while because you keep holding one note instead of just jumping around. Whatever, it sounds great!

We also got free Chick Fil A for breakfast this morning! My whole family went; it was pretty fun. You just have to go to chick-fil-a-forbreakfast.com or something and choose your free item! Every time I get CFA breakfast it makes my day. It's one of my favorite things. Yay! :) Okay, enough randomness. Hope you have a lovely rainy day!

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea about the chick-fil-a thing, but now i just reserved a free breakfast for fri! I love things that are free ...also neat about getting several free things from your mom. I have some old jewelry from my grandmother & it really is more special to wear- I just wore one of her bracelets today :) ...glad to hear things are going well [other than the rain & cold]!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you inspired me - i'm listening to clair de lune right now on you tube! :)

    ReplyDelete