September 28, 2011

Oration

Talking is not my greatest strength. I can relate to Moses when he said to the Lord, "Oh, my Lord, I am not eloquent, either in the past or since you have spoken to your servant, but I am slow of speech and of tongue." I like much better to have a blank piece of paper or word document and some time to think about what I'm going to say. What happens is I don't have enough time to fully process my thoughts and figure out what I'm going to say, but enough time has lapsed that if I don't say something now it'll be too long a pause and I'll have missed my opportunity to continue the conversation. So I open my mouth with little direction - with the start of a sentence in mind, and then as I continue speaking I don't know what I'm trying to say or how to say it!

I actually think I'm pretty good at public speaking, so long as I have planned out what I'm going to say ahead of time. So I like support appointments - just follow the book, everything will be okay. Then I get asked a question and out of my mouth come words like tangled jewelry. This is a common occurrence for me and one I'm okay with, because I have other strong points besides speaking, and I think it's fairly humorous, but I wanted to share because I thought of the perfect illustration for what it feels like! Like necklaces knotted together, the words start out okay and then my point gets confused and no one knows what I'm trying to say - everything is jumbled together and there's no getting out of it, so I just stop and leave it at that.
So there it is. Maybe you can relate, or if not maybe you will think it humorous to see a picture of word confusion. Because it's unclear and awkward and we all know awkward is funny.

1 comment:

  1. I have this same problem (...as I'm sure you've noticed)!

    ReplyDelete