January 27, 2011

Funny story

So there is this McDonald's gift card that has been in our (my mom's, mine, Whit's, mine again) possession for the last several years. Yes, at least two or three years. My mom had originally bought them to give out to homeless people instead of cash (mcdonald's: the anti drug). Then she gave them to Whit and I to give to homeless people one day since we were going into the city. We must not have seen anyone to give them to or maybe we just forgot about them, but many months or maybe years later we found the gift card and said "whoops." Just a few weeks ago Whit pulled out the card and said "Let's use this thing or throw it away." I checked the back and yep - it never expires. Perfect! Since we were in downtown Baltimore for Radiate, I took it and resolved to give it to a homeless person the next (our last) day. Put it in my pocket and of course forgot - well, we were rushing to get to the aquarium and trying to be back to work and then go to the new year's eve party. So much for that. When we were in Blacksburg I gave up on the whole homeless person thing and decided to just use it rather than continuing to leave it in our wallets and never end up using it. I decided to have a "Venezuela Day" and get McDonald's (a specific meal - McChicken to be exact...or as I wish it were, "McPollo") and watch Friends. At the window, the guy sloppily tried to the run the card and then gave up. Too old and scratched up. I asked him if he could just type in the number of the card and he said he couldn't. Whatever. Another lady came to help but it was no good. I was angry because it said that it never expires and it was worth a whole $5 so I could get two McChicken/fry meals FOR FREE. I asked if there was a number I could call at least to try to get another card! Good grief. So tonight I was feeling productive so I made the call. The lady mumbled something about not being able to check the balance because the card was too old and then put me on hold to this awesome (not) rock music. Whit called me while I was on hold and I answered, thinking it was urgent (since he had just texted me). It wasn't that urgent but I had lost the call. I gave up hope on the card and decided to just throw it away - it wasn't worth all this hassle!! Just then my phone rang and it was McDonald's. I expected to hear the lady but no - it was just "hold," calling me back. Weirdest thing ever to get a call from music. Anyway, I got the lady and she checked the balance and it still had money on it! ...but only sixty cents! All that for nothing.

1 comment:

  1. haha my favorite part is that you all were so dedicated to the idea that homeless people need mcdonalds

    ReplyDelete