May 3, 2011

The Sixteen

What is the sixteen you ask?


Why, it's this little guy! Also known as the pancake cake lens, this cutie shoots wide angle while allowing your NEX to be even smaller than it already is. I just tried it out tonight and it makes me love love love the NEX more than I already do! The camera is so much smaller overall - it almost makes you think it's a point-and-shoot. But the NEX is too sophisticated to really make you believe that; it's sturdy and carries itself like it knows what it's doing. LOVE it. Here are some test shots from around our house!

Even though it doesn't zoom, I think it will take great portraits! I can get a larger aperture which I think will give great portraits. PS if you didn't already know, I collect coconut heads. :)
These were taken to show the wide-angle. The first one was taken with the other lens at 18mm, and the second with the 16.





Notice that you can see the picture on the wall on the left as well as the edge of the bookcase.This picture shows that there is some distortion with the lens (look at the angles of the doorframe and canvas). Overall I don't think it's a huge problem, and can be corrected more or less with an adjustment of the camera angle/height. I love this next set. Probably because I love our little kitchen so much! I'm going to miss it.Finally I'll be able to take pictures of small places and get it all in one shot!

I took more but I don't want to bore you with pictures of our cluttered house. I just wanted to show off how impressed I am by this lens I was fairly skeptical about. Now I'm ready for landscape pictures - bring on the Rockies!!

Oh and I almost forgot - you CAN shoot video with the 16. So I am beyond excited for the 5 shows we're going to this summer. Phish in HD with the wide-angle - ahh, it will be so beautiful!

3 comments:

  1. dude that's an AMAZING concert photo! I can't believe you got the lights, the stage AND the audience. And it's all so clear! Impressive. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm I should clarify - I did not take that last photo! I am looking forward to taking a bunch this summer though when we go to some concerts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat shots- it looks like it'll be a great camera!

    ReplyDelete