May 2, 2011

Summer is on its Way



On Saturday we drove BACK to Mechanicsville for a shower for Stafford & Kerry. It was a great time to celebrate their soon-to-be marriage and catch up with friends from college. I tugged my camera along to snap a few shots out the window while we were driving because it was a beautiful day. It was good practice for our drive to Colorado this summer - I'm sure there will be some things I will want to photograph that we won't have time to stop for on the way there. I'm so glad I snapped this one below - it's sad that we're leaving Blacksburg and won't get to take this beautiful drive anymore. It's reminiscent of my childhood - all those drives between Richmond & Roanoke. These farms (and COWS) always made me so happy!! (Except that my family would point them out and I would ALWAYS miss them and complain "I didn't see it!")We stopped at the overlook briefly to take in the view. Love the panorama!Believe it or not, summer has got me in the mood to cook! Before we even came home I made a meal list of dinners to make. I think I was inspired by Whit's drastic change in acid reflux when we were eating real food instead of pasta and Digiorno's! Regardless, I whipped up another dinner, which was delish. Actually, I can't claim credit for the whole meal; Whit made the mashed potatoes! His mom taught him how last week so now he is a pro. I had never made mashed potatoes before, and I was surprised at how good they were. I had fun using our new masher too, which we bought specifically for the occasion. I am proud that I am still a cordless cook! Whit isn't the only legit cook though - I made this cole slaw from SCRATCH! And I mean I peeled the cabbage with a swivel peeler! Haha! I will probably not make that move next time but hey it worked. I was so nervous about this slaw because I got the recipe from a friend and it was not specific at all, so I thought for sure I'd mess up the ratios. However, it tasted exactly how I remembered it! Score! The main dish was this delicious meatloaf - unlike any meatloaf you've ever had before. I have been craving this meal since I left Venezuela. Karlayne used to cook every week for our servant team meetings, and this combo ranked at the top of the list. It wasn't exactly the same, but everything tasted great and I'm glad I finally pulled together a sweet homestyle meal.

2 comments:

  1. You may be a world traveler but you are a true southern gal at heart!
    Were the pics shot with the new camera?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is different about the meatloaf & what type of sauce does it have?
    ...If you'd like to try some more new recipes, I could give you a couple Spanish ones I've learned to make!

    ReplyDelete