March 5, 2012

Decorating our Office

In just ten days we will finally have our own apartment!!! Whit and I lived in our own place for six months after we got married, but since then have been bunking with his parents. It's awesome of them to let us stay with them (and awesome on our savings account), but we CAN'T WAIT to have a space that's entirely ours again!! (And not a 200-year old house! Amen!) 

Of course you know I've been dreaming about what our new place will look like. We have a lot of furniture already from living on our own in Blacksburg. We have a couch, three chairs, bed/headboard, etc. etc. We just got a new table and chairs from my parents from when they moved in August. We can't wait to try it out! It will fit right in with the rest of the theme we have going - dark brown and tan. Seriously, everything we own is those colors (couch, two chairs, kitchen table). I think that those colors are pretty blah. If you know me, I like things to be bright and colorful! However, it's good for me to have these items that are neutral-colored because then I get to decorate with tons of fun colors and patterns!

Anyways, this is getting off-subject. In our old place our second bedroom/office was just a random assortment of things. You know the feeling...just take all the random things leftover and put them all in one place. We had a glass desk, an oak desk, a cherry bookcase, a purple plaid futon, a giant Mediterranean painting, some Phish posters, an ottoman that didn't fit in the living room, a keyboard, and Whit's guitar stuff. Man that place looked cluttered! Everything just kind of clashed.

Well, for our new office I am planning to make it a little more coordinated. In the topic of decorating, I need help. An organized, pull-together theme doesn't come natural to me. I'm too creative - I come up with SO many ideas instead of just one. I know this about myself, so Whit and I have already come up with a life plan so that our house will eventually look neat and beautiful instead of cluttered and not very well thought-out. The plan is that for every room we will have one main color (or maybe two...), and only buy items that REALLY go with our theme. (We saw this in someone's house recently with purple and white and it looked A.MA.ZING.) That means NOT buying anything that doesn't fully match! Wow! That sounds tough. So, even if I find something that I LOVE that's on super cheap sale, if it won't work in the room it's a no go. And, if we find something AMAZING but it costs a little more than something that sorta works, we need to go with the awesome one. It sounds risky, but I honestly think it will save a lot of money in the long run because I won't be buying a bunch of things I find on sale. I think it will be so fun to collect really great items over the years that will make our house awesome. My favorite thing about this plan is that everything we buy we will love! Say goodbye to purchases that are I think are mediocre and I only own them because I got them on sale.

Since we already have furnishings and decorations for most of the other rooms of our house but had to get rid of a lot of stuff from our old second bedroom, I am so excited to implement this plan in our new office! The idea is to have a bright kelly green with black and white. We will also add some fun accent colors in small places (I'm thinking Asian/Indian magenta pattern on cute elephant prints for the walls.)

What do you think?
black rug, green curtains, new white desk, white bookshelf, white frames (already have: black & glass desk, brown and tan chair, guitar & music stuff)

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love this color scheme! You could easily paint your furniture white to get the fresh bright look you're going for. Spray paint is handy for small things too, like frames, chairs, etc. I can't wait to see it come together!

    ReplyDelete