January 24, 2012

Curls & Bobby Pins

Today, for the first time in my life, I curled my own hair!!! It took awhile, 23 years, but better late than never! (I actually used to curl my hair some when I was really little, like elementary school, but hit a point where I just couldn't figure it out for some reason!) I found this blog a few months ago and am SO thankful for this sweet girl (Kate) posting tutorials for basic hair styling techniques for something even as simple as how to curl your hair with a curling iron. I thought I was the only one who didn't know how to do that, but the way she explains it doesn't make me feel like a moron, AND a ton of people follow her so apparently I was not the only one!

I have been wanting to practice for awhile but didn't have the necessary tools or time, but finally tried today (actually still don't have any hair spray...what kind of girl am I?) and am so happy with the results! I finally feel competent enough to style my hair to look pretty for weddings (and other events, but let's face it, we are wedding people at this stage in life). Here's how some of the things I tried turned out: (p.s. don't mind how all these pictures are of the back of my head...just don't start thinking about cousin It and you'll be okay!)

basic curls (half up with a clip)
The curls didn't turn out AT ALL like Kate's, but she has entirely different hair than mine so whatever. I will maybe try some different things and see if I can get the curls to go higher on my head eventually, but this works for now.

Half-up
Oh yeah- bobby pins!! I have NEVER been able to use them myself before. I always see girls with cute simple hair-dos that are only held up by bobby pins, and always get jealous because I have too much hair to be held up by such a little thing. Well, apparently I have been missing the crucial piece of information regarding how to use bobby pins! Are you ready? You put the zig-zag side....DOWN! Who knew?? Wow I cannot believe I never knew that. Anyways, they work now!! In my hair...what a miracle! I am so excited to be able to do simple do's and style my own hair now. YAY! :)

the chic up-do
(This picture is not the best angle, but hopefully you get the effect.) Kate has much shorter hair than I do, so I'm not exactly sure how you're supposed to do this with longer hair. Also, I had to use 6 bobby pins to hold up a section of hair that she only needed one for! Not fair. Anyways, this style didn't look that great, but once I put this pretty barette in, it held up a loose section of hair and pulled the style together so it actually looks elegant. 

If you are a hair failure like I am, check out Kate's blog!! It is so helpful! Good luck :)

4 comments:

  1. Did you find Kate's blog on Pinterest?? Just curious - she actually goes to my church! I would say small world, but she has so many followers now it's not really that crazy that you ran into her blog. Isn't she great? Who knew there was such a need for women to learn how to correctly style hair!

    I love your updo, I need to try that one :) And my hair is the same way... it will never look like Kate's, but that's ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa that's crazy! Yes I kept seeing her on pinterest everywhere so I finally checked our her blog. I guess it's a trade-off - I don't really think anyone with long hair can achieve the exact styles she posts, but then you have pretty long hair so that's okay! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, i was just going to comment that she does anne parker's hair and i tried to get an appointment with her a couple of weeks ago but she was booked up! funny. your hair looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soooo beautiful! I love all the styles but especially the half up-do. Amazing how you can figure out how to do something when you are the one paying -- At least you can save yourself tons of money! lol!

    ReplyDelete