January 10, 2012

Soul Reminder

I think this is an appropriate post, since Christmas just happened. 

Jim Elliot journaled on Dec. 27, "The practice at Christmas has gotten to be such a commercialized hoax that I will be sincerely glad when all good Christians abandon it... Desire for the earth was increased and enlarged, still I recognized that were it sated I would not be at rest." 

Then, this is for all of those like me who are constantly longing for the next thing, like I have been looking at houses and puppies and vacations recently. "Let me read this page when I get to hungering after civilization's excitements and excesses in some lonely place. Take counsel, then, my soul, the whole of life is vanity and you would be no happier in brighter atmospheres. Woe and loneliness may be miserable, but hollow happiness and many in a crowd are much more so."

Take that, materialism! Thanks Jim :)

(Quotes taken from Shadow of the Almighty)

No comments:

Post a Comment