November 30, 2011

Literature

Chapter 1 of Atlas Shrugged:
"Who is John Galt?"
The light was ebbing, and Eddie Willers could not distinguish the bum's face. The bum had said it simply, without expression. But from the sunset far at the end of the street, yellow glints caught his eyes, and the eyes looked straight at Eddie Willers, mocking and still - as if the question had been addressed to the causeless uneasiness within him. 
"Why did you say that?" asked Eddie Willers, his voice tense.
The bum leaned against the side of the doorway; a wedge of broken glass behind him reflected the metal yellow of the sky. 
"Why does it bother you?" he asked.
"It doesn't," snapped Eddie Willers.
He reached hastily into his pocket. The bum had stopped him and asked for a dime, then had gone on talking, as if to kill that moment and postpone the problem of the next. Pleas for dimes were so frequent in the streets these days that it was not necessary to listen to explanations and he had no desire to hear the details of this bum's particular despair. 

After I finished reading the Count of Monte Cristo, I have been longing to read another novel. Since high school, I have pretty much only read non-fiction when I'm reading for pleasure. If you're going to read, it might as well be useful, I think. But now every time I pick up a book I just wish it was the Count of Monte Cristo again! 

Last year I attended a seminar at Radiate about how to discuss Christianity with people who believe in objectivism. It correlated with the release of the Atlas Shrugged movie, which the father of the man giving the seminar helped produce. I had heard of Atlas Shrugged before, and even had a copy on my bookshelf that I had gotten for free in college, but I never knew that there was a whole philosphy behind the book. 

It was very intriguing but I felt like I wouldn't be able to understand it completely until reading the book myself. A challenge, seeing as my copy of the book is 1069 pages long and is probably written in size 8 or 9 font. I pretty much forgot about the book until I started organizing my books at our new living space. I decided to keep it out just in case I decided to read it. 

Like I said, since the Count of Monte Cristo I have thirsted for good literature and a good story. When I read the opening of the book, I decided I'm in! It's the best writing I've experienced since high school (when I actually read literature), or maybe ever. No detail is spared - I can completely imagine the scenario, including knowing exactly what each person is feeling. Plus I'm so intrigued to find out what Ayn Rand believes, and how she put her ideas into a story. 

Since raising support isn't always that demanding of a job (at least, we're working from home which is not very stressful - no commute!), and we're not fully engaged in our lives being in the midst of this transition, my goal is to finish reading it before we complete our support. So I've got about 3 months (hopefully)! If you want to read it too, let me know and we can talk about it together and keep each other on pace! If you've already read it, share that too! Whit only knows of three people who have read the whole book. Hopefully in a few months he'll know four! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment