December 15, 2011

15th Day of Christmas: Must-Watch Christmas Movies

Every year I HAVE to watch these movies. If I don't, it's just not right!


#1. The Grinch
This is my favorite Christmas movie. It's probably an unusual favorite to have, since it's not an old classic and it's not all sappy and sentimental. But the fact is true, I love it and can't go a Christmas without watching it! I love Jim Carrey, the humor, the storyline, the sets, and it's great acting overall. Plus, it kind of is a classic...I always read Dr. Seuss' big red book about the Grinch when I was little. Fa-who-dor-es....


#2. Home Alone
This is second, but a close second. This is THE Christmas classic. If you don't watch this every year, I don't know what you do instead. The movie is full of Kevin's entertaining adventures, with the heartwarming finale where he is reunited with his mom at last. And don't you just love how the scary man turns out to save the day? Macaulay Culkin, burglars, schemes, and family, this is a movie for the ages (and all ages). "Buzz, your girlfriend - woof!"


#3. The Holiday
Chick flick + the Christmas season. Can you think of a better movie combination? Hardly. Any girl should have this on her must-see list each winter. I love this one so much I always want to watch it twice. I never have; last year I planned to watch it twice but waited too long into the season where I didn't feel like watching it so closely together. This year I watched it in November so we'll see about a possibility of a repeat. It's long, but worth it for all the drama (crying and not-crying, wishy-washy guys, adorable romantic lines, and finding out he has two kids).


#4. A Charlie Brown Christmas
The most classic one on the list. Charles Schultz really knew how to make a sweet cartoon that brings together your family for the holidays. It's great to see the gang together in feature film, instead of on a 2-D piece of paper. You get to hear the best soundtrack, feel sorry for Charlie Brown, and who could forget that sad little tree. The best part? Linus' Christmas speech where he shares the true meaning of Christmas. Way to go, little guy.


#5. Elf
The first time I saw it I honestly didn't think it was that funny. Fortunately, it gets better every time! Will Ferrell is absolutely NOT one of my favorite actors, but I can get into his performance of a childish, goofy elf. He terrorizes everyone but only in an attempt to win them over with his big heart. I'm not a fan of the maple syrup jokes, but smiling? "Smiling's my favorite!"




Honorable Mentions (aka watch them if I have time):
6. The Polar Express - Loooove the book! And I met one of the CGI animators in a class in a high school - that Whit was also at!
7. Home Alone 2 - Forgot about this one until two years ago. Now we can't get enough. It's even quoteable throughout the year! "Ain't much better in here, kid!"
8.  I'll Be Home for Christmas - Saw it in the theaters. Yeah JTT! Watched it a couple years ago and he's it's still cute.
9. The Grinch cartoon version - Precious. And fun to make people take a quiz on!
10. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - Not my style of humor, but Whit loves it, and it is pretty funny.
11. A Christmas Story - I've never watched it the whole way through, but there's no need to buy it either. Thank you TBS!


Movies I'd Like to See:
Arthur Christmas - A new possible favorite!
The Santa Clause - I'm buying it this year! It's been too long.
Miracle on 34th Street - Loved it as a child, but haven't seen it since
It's a Wonderful Life - Planning to see it with Whit's family for the annual Midnight showing at the Byrd!
Christmas With the Kranks - My mom's favorite. She laughed so hard in the theaters my brother & I didn't know if she was crazy or we were for not laughing. Also I'm reading the book again this year!
Muppet Christmas Carol - I heart Muppets.


Losers -
White Christmas - Bor-ing!
Four Christmases - Why would you make a Christmas movie with a sad ending?
Jingle All the Way - I thought I loved this movie...until I watched it again. 

What's on your must-watch list?

No comments:

Post a Comment