December 23, 2011

22nd Day of Christmas: Jekyll Island

I felt like Alice in Wonderland. Enthralled by the warm breeze and ocean scent, I climbed up into a big oak tree and gazed at the lush green grass while men dressed in white played croquet in the background. Jekyll Island used to be a retreat only for the wealthiest power-holders in the country; the ritzy had their own private cottages that put every other use of the word cottage to shame. They dined on tea in round conservatories, and doubtless enjoyed Christmas off the coast of Georgia more than most families were able to do.


We re-captured the ambiance of an almost-gone memory of olden days by taking our tea in the same conservatory, overlooking a pool and accompanied by bagpipes that I'm not sure existed at the time the millionaires vacationed. Jekyll delighted us with a fantastic sunset, the third I've seen since I've been here if you recall. This whole trip has been a wonderful blessing so far; I have been taking advantage of the time with my family and most relaxing of weather during this perfect Christmas vacation.

the largest cottage ever built

people playing croquet in front of the main building

i LOVE the trees!!

bagpiper we saw and heard from our tea room

lit up for christmas

we also overlooked the pool

pretty pinecone decorations that my mom and i will copy next year!

red robius ? tea

LOTS of yummy petit fours!





their pre-hawaii hawaii picture



1 comment:

  1. Your photos seriously look worthy of a travel magazine! What a beautiful island!

    ReplyDelete