December 5, 2011

5th Day of Christmas: Church Concert & Being a "Real" Photographer

Yesterday I had my very first "real" photographer experience! I would say my first semi-real experience was at Thanksgiving, when I volunteered to take a group photo of everyone there, plus some individual family shots. That was just family though, so I'm not sure if that counts. My mother-in-law is trying to organize making a new directory for our church, which is so funny because before she told me that I was already thinking about doing it myself! I decided I wasn't qualified enough and didn't have enough time, but when she told me she wanted to do it, I offered to take photos of people & events for the beginning of the book (not the actual pictures of individual families).

Being my P self (Myers-Briggs), I wasn't trying to really make anything happen. However, Nancy had the idea that I should be there to take pictures of the various events this month since there's a lot going on. She talked to Brad, our new pastor, about it, and I was signed up to photograph the choir's Christmas performance! I had fun being the "legit" photographer up front with my tripod haha. It was much harder than I thought it would be though! I felt very limited with my not-low aperture lens, and only being able to zoom up to 55mm. (I've been planning on buying two new lenses that will solve both of those dilemmas but didn't have them yet unfortunately.) It was a great experience, though, and I got asked again to be there this Wednesday to photograph the Stop Hunger Now event. So I'm very grateful to Nancy for putting me out there and allowing me my first "real" photography experience! 

Now for the Christmas part! It was fun getting to go to two Christmas concerts in a row, but also time-consuming. I felt exhausted when I came home resulting in a lot of things on my to-do list today that didn't get done which is not good because the rest of our week is really busy! Oh well, everything will get done eventually. That's beside the point - here are the pictures!










soloist Liz Glover



we had invited Mercy's Well from NC to perform

they did this really cool style of singing where for one verse they only sang "fa, so, la, ti, da, etc."

our new pastor! he looks natural up there!

3 comments:

  1. pretty pictures! I like the close up of gold tree/lights thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sydni, you are getting so good at photography! I really like the bokeh in the picture with the poinsettias. What lenses are you getting? I've had my eye on a prime lens for a while and have heard really good things about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!! I bought a 35mm f1.7 that actually should have arrived today! (i'm still waiting for it) i already have one prime lens (16mm f2.8) which I love but isn't practical for every situation since it has a pretty wide angle. The other one I will get eventually is a telephoto zoom (55-200mm).

    ReplyDelete