December 23, 2011

23rd Day of Christmas: Skipping Christmas



Skipping Christmas, me?? No! It's the book by John Grisham. One of my favorite Christmas traditions is reading books - The Crippled Lamb, the Polar Express, Room for a Little One, The Nativity Story, Twas the Night Before Christmas, The Grinch, and so on. Children's books are so fun to pile on your coffee table because you can pick them up and be reminded of memories of Christmases when you were a kid. 


This year since most of our Christmas stuff is boxed away, I decided to re-read Skipping Christmas, a novel about the Krank family who decided to spend their money on a cruise and skip the whole holiday she-bang. I enjoyed it as a new tradition to read a more adult book still centered around the Christmas season. 


I made sure I finished reading it before we left my parents', because the movie, Christmas with the Kranks, is one of my mom's favorites. I've only seen it once, when it first came out, and it was fun to watch the movie and compare right after reading the book. My review on the movie? Definitely not a good re-make of the novel. I think the story of the book would have been a great movie, but I guess the writers thought it would be too boring, because they shortened the part of the movie based on the book and then added about 45 minutes at the end that had nothing to do with the book. I didn't like that very much because the climax of the movie didn't go along with the book at all; I think if you're going to do that, you might as well not base it around the book at ALL instead of trying (poorly) to copy the book. The acting wasn't great, but it's hard to seriously mess up a Christmas movie, so it was still enjoyable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment