December 7, 2011

7th Day of Christmas: Festive Pretzels

I discovered two new favorites yesterday - the perfect year-round snack, and my new best friend the double boiler. 

Chocolate-covered pretzels have always been a beloved indulgence. I love them, but have them rarely because they're SO expensive! And just not a healthy snack option. After yesterday, I'm sold on making them myself! It took a long time because the recipe* makes a LOT and you have to do each one individually, but you come out with a little under a million pretzels at the end. The ones I made are for gifts, but I will make these again sometime during the year because it's fun making them, and they'll last for awhile. Another plus is that it's a baked good that isn't completely terrible for you like brownies or cookies. 

Oh, the double boiler? I've used one before but never for melting chocolate to use on a ton of individual goodies. This option is infinity better than past baking times with no double boiler, where you have to melt a small amount of chocolate and then re-melt it after it gets hard and then re-melt it and so on. I'm so glad I have a double boiler waiting for me when I get all my baking gear again, and I may just have to get another to have on hand for making cake balls and pretzels where it's nice to have more than one color going at a time so you can get the pretty drizzly effect. PS, it also helps to have a husband who helps you make chocolate-covered pretzels just because he wants to spend time with you. :)

*Recipe: 1 bag of mini pretzels + 2 bags Wilton candy melting chocolates

No comments:

Post a Comment