December 4, 2011

4th Day of Christmas: Jazz Nativity

Last year my wedding photographer advertised on her blog that her Christmas was doing a Jazz Nativity, complete with saxophones and Starbucks treats. It was the first weekend of December, so we couldn't go because we were still in Blacksburg. (Why is every Christmas celebration the first weekend of December?? It makes me sad that no one does any kind of nativity or concert or anything later, so if you can't be there then you completely miss out.) This year we are living in Richmond so we were easily able to go! 
Whit and I love good music, or should I call it real music. What I mean by that is music that someone actually took time to compose, rather than various sounds flung together that somehow wedge their way onto the radio. One genre that's a particular favorite is jazz Christmas (see my first day of Christmas post). Jazz Nativity did not disappoint! Every single performer was outstanding. We loved every single song! There was a tremendous amount of talent on stage. Katelyn said that only three of the people performing weren't from their church. I don't know about you, but I'm not 100% sure, but I think my church doesn't just have 20 talented jazz musicians laying around. ;) A lot of them played multiple instruments/sang.

Scroll through the pictures to read about some interesting things they did during the night, and then check out the videos at the bottom to hear how great the music was!
String Quartet :)
My favorite song was probably The Little Drummer Boy. Normally it's my least favorite Christmas song, but they redeemed it. The song was performed as a duet...by multiple people. Two people started off, and after a little while another guy walked in, took the first guy's hat, and sat down as the first guy scooted off the bench. They went through maybe 5 people this way, each getting younger and younger! It was impressive, and the piano sounded really good. It went from these two men:

To these little boys! They were playing JAZZ PIANO. Ridiculous.
She can sing!
Katelyn
Michael (her husband) joined her - they were so cute! (He even gave her a kiss as she sang that line in Let It Snow.)
Katelyn & Michael
A Mad Russian's Christmas (Tchaikovsky)
These two men played a few different songs on the handbells...by themselves! (Usually a handbell player is in charge of one or two, maybe three handbells. There were two guys for the whole set!)
The amazing pianist who put this night together
We found some lights later in the night and took a picture since we forgot to take one at the church.

 P.S. This is my 151st post! I didn't realize I hit 150 yesterday because I had a couple unpublished posts that threw me off. Yay blog! :) 


Here are a few videos of the night. Watch and see how great the music was! Put it on your calendar for next year ;)

This clip shows the transition of the pianists during the multi-duet. (The video is centered so because if I went any further over you would be staring at a bald man's head. I figured I would spare you.)

Katelyn singing Let It Snow

Michael joining her for a duet
The last video wouldn't load, so I posted it on facebook. Check it out, it's awesome!


P.S. Don't forget the poll on the top right! What kind of tree do you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment